Subject: Re: [Leica] Ilford Delta 3200 developing
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 08:50:17 -0800

Ernest Nitka wrote:

> Aram - before I answer your question congrats on getting the R8 - sorry I
> couldn't be the seller
> but I'm sure you are finding it a great camera.
>
> Now onto the question at hand - did you shoot it at EI of 3200?  You may
> find that most people
> answering your ? shoot it not at 3200 but less than that.  I saw somewhere
> where the 'true'speed of
> the film was more like 1000 to 1250.  Ilford called it Delta 3200 to compete
> with Kodak's version which
> I'm told is also not a 'true' 3200 film.  My first 10 rolls where developed
> in Rodinal because I did not
> yet have Ilford';s DDx to use. Rodinal worked out ok with DDx being better
> with regards to grain.  I would avoid
> Microdol at all costs.  Now let me let the experts weigh in on your
> question.
>
><Snip>

The Kodak film is called P3200.
The P stands for "push."

but in the T Max developer it seems you get a real 3200 out of it.
Also i think in Acufine.
But in just about any other developer it's 1600 which is OK with me
with the sun out at 1000 f16 I'm already over exposing just a hair.

It's the same speed as the Neopan 1600. Which really is 1600 in most developers.
Gorgeous film at a discount price. I'd pay more for it.

I get 1200 from Delta 3200 though. A bit of a disappointment. But the
only superspeed film in town for medium format.
I find the stop and a half it gives me over Tri x or HP5 quick usefull.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com