Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh - proven myth ?
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 14:19:20 EST

In a message dated 1/2/02 7:42:53 AM, alexpix@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< My question after 4 decades of professional shooting 2 of them in
Washington
D.C., shooting side by side with many of those folks mentioned by Sal, is
there really any discernible difference between any 180mm lens wide open
focused at 7 feet rendering of the OOF background?  This question applies to
any focal length used in a like manner. >>

I don't know about 180 mm lens, but as far as a 135mm lens, Minolta makes a
135mm lens that is designed to "wage war on the out-of-focus areas" of your
shot.  It's called a 135mm STF.  There are some shots on the web of what it
produces, but someone did  a comparison between the old 135mm and the new,
same images at f4.5.   http://www.munitions.com/jgreely/stf135/page1.html.
I know that in a Leica group, Minolta probably holds little water, but at
least to this camera manufacturer, "bokeh" meant enough to design a lens
dedicated to it as well as the in-focus areas.

- -kim

ps.  I personally would love to own this particular lens...so if anyone on
the LUG owns one and is willing to part with it..........