Subject: [Leica] Bokeh is nonsense!!!
From: "Garry D. Lewis" <glewis@ftw.nrcs.usda.gov>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 13:19:38 -0600

My measured thoughts are-

Naturalistic Photography.
F/64 School.
F/64 group.
Pictorialism.
Depth of Focus.
Depth of Field.

I would argue that from a Historical point of view- this has all been
discussed before.

>As I said in another post, just because YOU may not use it, doesn't mean others don't enhance >their images by the use of it.

And the converse:
just because you use it, doesn't mean that it will enhance the images
of other by the use of it.

>Your comment is what is utter nonsense, and arrogantly demeaning.
No more of a nonsense than worrying about the shape and quality of out
of focus areas of a photograph. No more arrogant than saying that
since some photographers use it, that it is therefore "viable" for
everyone.

>Bokeh DOES exist and IS a viable technique.

Ultimately this IS the point. For Ted and me and others it doesn't
exist and isn't a "viable" technique. For You it is. We should agree
to disagree and (as you correctly point out) discuss
it as it relates and/or doesn't to our work. Afterall, it could be
symantics- Bokeh/ depth of focus?

Bokeh does exist as it defines a real entity- out of focus areas of a
photo. But for me, all of the articles and discussions (on this list
and others) all come down to a "subjective" judgement as to whether it
is good or bad/ useful or a waste of time.

			yours waiting to be convinced,

				Garry D. Lewis