Subject: [Leica] Re: Ilford Delta 3200 developing
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 15:51:04 -0600

Brian:

>5 liters will require that I completely change the way I handle stock
>solutions. Either that or just dump out one of the five every time I mix it.

Mark Rabiner threatened to beat me if I did it any other way...  So I
listened to him, and have been happy (yet again) with the results.  When I
didn't listen to him ("buy Hewes reels"), I wasn't happy and then went out
and got the more expensive reels, anyway.

Anyway...  I mixed up the 5L solution and then filled twenty 250 ml bottles.
(24 amber bottles from Photographer's Formulary were about $50)  Actually,
19.  They hold slightly more than 250 if you fill 'em up so there's no air.
I now have (actually, had...I've used up more than half of 'em in the past
couple months) 19 "shots" of developer perfectly measured.  I add 750 ml of
water to each "shot" and I've got a 1:3 mixture ready to dump into my 1L
tank.  "Couldn't be easier", said Rabs.  He was right.  I'm sooo glad I
listened to him about this.  I don't have to measure or think or do anything
other than dump a bottle into my 1L grad cylinder, add water, and I'm ready
to agitate.  Couldn't be easier.  I can tell by looking at how many bottles
I have filled up how many more rolls I can do.  5 bottles = a brick.  I
think next time I order another brick, I need to order another 5L packet of
Xtol.  It's magic powder.

Eric

p.s.  The Hewes reels *still* put a smile on my face, Mark.  You were right
about them, too.  :)

Message from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Ilford Delta 3200 developing)
Message from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] Ilford Delta 3200 developing)