Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: 90mm M Lens
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 22:18:17 -0800

I use a 90 2.8 Tele Elmarit and I love it. It is small enough to fit in
my everready case so I can keep it mounted when hiking and rock climbing
(yes, I use an ER case when I am clambering up rocks and slippery slopes
- - I like to preserve those nice front lens elements). I highly recommend
it, because it takes great pictures, is compact and easy to use, and it
is darn cheap by Leica lens standards (mine was ~$400 in perfect optical
and mechanical condition, from a store). Also, as an added benefit, I
can use the hood from my 35 Summilux, with Series VII filters installed,
interchangeably with the 90 TE, so I do not need both Series VII and
39mm filters. The 35 'lux and 90 TE make a great hiking kit!

I have a question regard the Tele-Elmarits: I have seen many people
refer to the 'thin' and 'fat' TE lenses. I looked in my Bower book and a
chart shows an older 90 2.5 Tele-Elmarit with 5 elements in 5 groups
(355 grams) and a newer one with 4 elements in 4 groups (225 grams),
made from '64 - '74 and '74 - '90 respectively.  Both have 39mm filter
rings, f16 min aperture, and same 1 meter focusing. I looked at mine, it
has serial number 2215XXX, which dates it between 1964 and 1971 (also
according to Bower's book).  So, my guess is that I have the 'fat' one,
even though it is not really fat.  If I could weigh it I would, but my
bathroom scale register that low ;) Also, mine is made in Canada.  How
do you tell the 'fat' from the 'thin' TE, and what are the relative
merits of the two?

Thanks,
- - marc