Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Mark Rabiner's XTol tricks
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 09:20:21 -0800

"J. Gilbert Plantinga" wrote:

> on 1/3/02 11:28 AM, Mark Rabiner at mark@markrabiner.com wrote:
>
> > Yes i forgot to mention that laboratory plastic like mentioned in your
> > source, Jim I'd be confident in.
> > I just don't like the plastic containers sold in the camera shops.
> > They seem to me like they would very possibly breath.
>
> I _feel_ the same way, but that's what I've been using - 5 1L bottles. But
> since I did the PAW last year 5 liters has never lasted me more than about 6
> weeks at 1:3, and at that rate I've never had any go bad. I'd not trust it
> for longer term storage. Shoot more film!
>
> Gilbert
>
> --

- - my last bottle post...
I started out with one liter bottles and maybe a few half liters and
when I'd not use the whole liter bottle in a run I'd pour the remainder
into a smaller half and or quarter liter bottle  at that time and fill
those up to the top. The idea of pouring them all at first into all
smaller bottles seemed like too many bottles, too much time. Too crazy.
But a photographer friend of mine was doing this, and convinced me of
it's advantages.

So i labeled a bunch more small bottles that i already had. And tried
it. It doesn't take so long to fill all those bottles. I do 6 500 ml
bottles for my 2 liter tanks and 8 250's for my one liter tanks. That's
14 bottles total. You can just dunk the bottles into the bucket filled
with Xtol and push them down until they all fill up. Ask Phillip!

So now doing a film run is a no brainer which is always good. One can do
one at a the spur of the moment without thinking that you need to me
more on top of things.  I'm due for a run right now. When i get back
from my workout.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com