Subject: Re: [Leica] any opinions as to what went wrong?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 13:05:08 -0800

> --
This is terrible Brian I'm sorry to have steered you in this direction
which has brought you a visit from the gremlins.

But Not mixing the Xtol enough would not be it.

I don't mix mine up all the way half the time.
The next day though I'll look at the bottles and they'll be clear.
So I guess they dissolve overnight and it's not an issue because I've
developed lots of film in all kinds of developers with particles
floating around and it never makes a bit of difference that i can tell.

I doubt what we are looking at are the particles attaching themselves to
the film and making defined holes like that. That would have happened to
me by now if that was possible.

I wish i had those negatives in hand because I'd be much better able to
see what was going on.

I don't think its fix contamination. Could be a bad batch of film.

Was this from a one liter packet of Xtol? and was it caked up in the
packet? How much Xtol do you have left?

I forgot to warn about caked up packets, usually the one liter but
sometimes the 5. It has to be granular.
I think they get caked from being stored in too much heat and they are
making the packets better now.

I got a caked packet once and i dumped it, so did a friend of mine.

How much did you run in how big of a tank? What kind of fix did you use?
What do you want to be and what do you want to do?
Again I'm sorry about the Gremlins.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com