Subject: Re: [Leica] New Image
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 08:20:14 -0800

Margaret Jeffcoat wrote:

> Mark, Nice image-tones and lighting are very nice. Question-did you do any
> without eye contact. Head turned gently into the left should with the eyes
> down and to the left as well-would give a fully different feel to the image.
> I like
> this as is too, but it has a very flirty feeling to it-play between lovers.
> Just me
> 2 cents.
> Cheers Wilber Jeffcoat

Thanks yes i shot 360 exposures in 3 hours. Ten rolls of Delta 100.
But I'm more of an eye contact guy. I tell the model to always look at
the lens as a default.
When they keep looking off in different directions i attribute it to nerves.
But i always end up doing a few without the eye contact.
But without the eye contact in most cases i feel like I've lost the picture.
The eyes are the main thing.

The hard part here was figuring out which was the "best" shot to upload.
I had made about a dozen 11x14's on cold tone RC pearl Ilford multigrade
paper. Different outfits.
I didn't know how much i liked this shot until i hung it up in my
darkroom next to my light table.
I was making an effort to have more 11x14's up all over the place so
that's what my clients would order as that is that is what I'm
standardizing on now. Always mix up up those trays and having my new
Portfolio be that size. And I'm ordering a bunch of 16x20 frames and
glass to put 11x14 prints in. I'm sick of making 8x10's.
When i walked into my darkroom a few days ago and saw the print on the
wall it really was good as far as i go.
"Glamour" photography is VERY subjective and it's easy to think you've
got a good shot but have it be a real embarrassing piece of garbage.
I have to distance myself from the shot and get a fresh perspective to
see for sure if I've really got a shot or not…
...put it away for several weeks to months.
I felt pretty secure about this shot. Even if a whole Lug all got up in
arms and said "What a piece of garbage!" It would not throw me off this
feeling. I'm glad it was received well.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com