Subject: RE: [Leica] feb shutterbug
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 13:02:31 -0500

Someone wrote:
The quality i seen in Gibsons and Salgados work goes beyond content for me.
There is a technical edge to the work.
The work does not to me look like it was shot with Nikon/Canons.

To which I respond - predictably -
Horse freakin hoooey - The thing that makes Salgado's work stand out so is
that he has The Eye. And then there is the fact that, among
photojournalist/documentary photographers, he has the distinction of being a
master of the craft of photography. Unlike a Eugene Smith, whose work is
brilliant but whom one might guess never owned a light meter, Salgado
clearly but an enormous amount of time and effort into considering light
quality, exposure, depth of field, etc etc. etc. And in the field in which
he works, that makes him exceptional. Let's not forget, btw, that he used to
use Olympus equipment...and I'd be willing to bet that you couldn't -
whether or not your life depended upon it - tell the difference between his
Leica work and his Olympus work.

And, I'd also be willing to be that there are two reasons why Salgado now
works with Leicas, rather than with Olympus gear - the Leica gear is far far
more rugged and reliable; and, I'll be he gets more and better support from
Leica than he got from Olympus.
To me the fact that they shoot with Leica's does make a difference.