Subject: Re: [Leica] [OT] Jobo CPE-2...
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspw.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:37:08 -0500 (EST)

jobo is not misleading anyone!

it's largely because of the "100ml Xtol rule", that for each 8x10
equivalent of film (one 135 or 120, half a 220) you should have 100ml
of stock.  when you use xtol (1+3), this means you need _much_ more volume
for working solution than the film itself; i.e., you cannot fill up the tank
with all the reels it will hold.  anshell and troop make a big deal about
having sufficient developer stock per roll in their book... so i follow the
recommendation.

hence, for my developing with jobo tanks and inversion agitation:
(i manually agitate my B&W)

            jobo       xtol stock    total
1 roll      1520          125         500
2 rolls     1510+1530     250        1000
3 rolls     1520+1530     300        1200

physically, the above jobo configurations can hold 2, 4, and 5 reels of
35mm respectively, but because of the solution volume requirements, i get
1, 2 and 3 reels.

the only unpleasant part is the time to fill and empty the tanks becomes
much more of an issue, and inverting 1.2 liters for agitation is like
juggling full plastic coke bottles.  it would be nice to pop the reels
into a small tank after the stop bath, but i've not figured out the
logistics of doing that.

the situation is much exacerbated with rotary because in rotary processing
you use about half the volume of solution in a tank than you would using
inversion.  hence, to strictly adhere to the 100ml xtol rule, you'd need the
1510+1530  tank for _one_ roll... and that'a _big_ tank for _one_ roll!

- -rei

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: [OT] Jobo CPE-2...)