Subject: Re: [Leica] 75M or 90M 2.0
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 08:06:05 EST

In a message dated 1/4/02 11:34:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
simon@camera-craftsman.com writes:

> James Harrison wrote:
>
>  >I am going to buy a lens for portraiture.  It will be either the
>  >current 75M, or the current 90M 2.0.  I use and like the R90 2.0 on a
>  >R-8 but have never a 75..any preference?
>
>  If what you want to do is portraiture, the old 1960's 90 f2 (the big fat
>  Canadian one) is well worth considering. It's flattering, focuses nice
>  and close with good perspecive and as a bonus, they are cheap. Expect to
>  pay around $500-600.

James, if it's pure portraiture, why would you prefer a rangefinder to a
reflex camera? With the R you can see exactly what you are getting in terms
of framing, exact focus on eyes and out-of-focus background. But if you must
have an M lens for portraiture, the old 90 Summicron, wide-open, is excellent
as is the very first 5-glass 90/2,8 Elmarit.

Seth          LaK 9