Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak RFS 3600
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 15:45:53 -0500

on 1/5/02 2:09 PM, dante@umich.edu at dante@umich.edu wrote:

> On a lark (since it's virtually free here in the States with the free film)
>

> One basic thing that everyone should bear in mind is that this is a
>
> Plusses:
>
> -- it is not as noisy as people say it is.  perceptible, yes, but
> .
>
> -- the optical quality is pretty impressive - so much so that unsharp
>

> -- the included software is not terrible.  It takes 5 minutes to learn,

> -- you can make web-quality 12-bit images (600dpi from 1x1.5") in less than
> 30 seconds apiece, unattended, even with the slower USB connection.
>
> -- did I mention automatic film drive?!  This is a giant plus, especially

> -- Makes excellent Kodachrome scans, better than anything else I have seen.

> -- The fine frame adjustment is useful.  I have had the experience with the

> The real gripes:
>
> -- comes with a SCSI cable that is the compact type, not compatible with
>
> -- Energy star takes a few minutes to turn the scanner off.
>
> -- needs to look less like an alien pod.
>
> My responses to some gripes I've read:
>
> -- Film flatness.  Film flatness appears to be the same as with Polaroid

> -- No digital ICE.  Sounds familiar, from a different context). In an
>
> Today, a lot of people rely on ICE to clean up negs, with attendant effects
>
> Scratches on your negs are a different story, and ICE can help get rid of
> one.
>
> -- No VueScan support.  Somebody said that the scanner was so bad "that
>
> Anyway, I am going to slug it out and see if the RFS 3600 is good over a
>
> Have a great new year!
> Dante

I agree.  The little alien pod works like a charm...I had one of the first
ones and it was nothing but problems and they ate it.  Second go around is
fine.

My only gripe is that the film was Kodak, not Ilford and they don't profile
the Ilford films.

If you need a scanner and can get the film offer get one.

Happy snaps,
Steven Alexander