Subject: Re: [Leica] [OT] Wash Time...for anyone whose's up...
From: DJR <don.ro@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 08:00:14 -0600

Good morning, John:

I have not been a believer in Hypo Clear as it is just one more
chemical to do mischief.  The following is my technique for processing
Tech Pan including the Ilford washing procedure:

PROCESSING OF KODAK TECH PAN FILM (35MM AND 120)

A.	Developer

1. Use TEC compensating developer - it is a very simple developer that
is as easy to use as D-76.

2. Add one ounce (1 oz.) TEC concentrate plus thirty ounces (30 oz.)
distilled water.

3. Bring diluted developer to seventy degrees Fahrenheit. (70 °F).
Bring all  solutions including wash water to the same temperature or
within one degree.  Be sure to use a good process thermometer that is
accurate to 1/4 degree Fahrenheit.

4. Set the timer for eight (8) minutes.

5. Pour only enough developer into Nikor type stainless steel tank to
cover one reel of film.  Have second film reel with no film on it to
use as a filler to prevent the single reel containing the film from
plunging up and down as the tank is inverted.  Idea is to use only
enough developer to cover the film on one reel which will be placed at
bottom of tank, then when tank is inverted, the developer will
completely uncover the film and then completely cover the film when
the tank is turned upright.  In this manner, you should receive much
more uniform agitation and avoid the streaks created by the sprocket
holes along the edges of the 35mm film.

B.	Wind film on Nikor type stainless steel reel, slip the reel
containing the film over the stainless steel lift rod so it is on the
bottom and then the empty reel over the rod second.  Carefully lower
the two reels into the developer tank, turn on the clock, and cap the
tank.

C.	Agitation

1. Method of agitation.  The proper agitation is the inversion method
and that is performed by holding the tank between the thumb and second
finger so when you turn your wrist over the tank is turned upside
down, and then when the wrist is rotated back to its starting point,
the tank will be upright.  A single cycle of turning the tank upside
down and then upright should take approximately two (2) seconds.

2. Initial Agitation -- agitate the tank nine (9) times and set the
tank in the tempering vessel.  Be careful to hold the tank so the
water in the tempering bath does not cause the tank to rock from the
ripples created when the tank was returned to the bath.  If the tank
rocks, the film-developer will be agitated which results in
over-development and unwanted contrast.

3. Agitate Once Each Minute After Initial Agitation -- When the timer
shows the end of the first minute or the start of the next minute,
agitate the tank twice.

D.	Film Rinse and Fixer - DO NOT USE A HARDENING FIXER

1. After agitating the film tank for the last time which is at the
beginning of the last minute, remove the cap and lid, get ready to
remove the two reels from the developer tank; then with ten (10)
seconds before the end of the development period, lift the reels from
the tank to drain the developer.

2. Slip the reels into a tank of rinse water the same temperature as
the developer, and move the reels up and down gently for twenty (20)
seconds, then drain for ten (10) seconds.

3. Slip the reels in the rapid fixer and gently move the reels up and
down gently for the first thirty (30) seconds, let rest for thirty
(30) seconds, move the reels up and for twenty (20) seconds and then
raise the reels from the fixer to drain for ten (10) seconds.

E.	Film Wash

	The Ilford archival procedure saves time and water.  Only
three (3) changes of wash water is necessary, so have prepared enough
wash water to fill your tank three times and the water must be within
one degree Fahrenheit of the fixer.  The follow this procedure:

Ilford says "This method of washing is faster, uses less water yet
still gives negatives of archival permanence."

1. Fix it using Ilford Universal Rapid fixer.

2. After fixing, fill the tank with water at the same temperature as
the processing solutions, and invert it five times.

3. Drain the water away and refill.  Invert the tank ten times.

4. Drain and refill it for the third time and invert the tank twenty
times. Drain the water away.

F.	Anti-Static Rinse
		Thirty (30) seconds in ECCO 121 to reduce static and
allow water to run off cleanly
		This procedure provides me with a negative having a
Contrast Index of approximately .52 that prints nicely on Ilford
Multigrade IV with number 2 filter.  It allows me to shoot Tech Pan at
an honest E.I. of 40 and you may fudge to 80 or 100 depending upon the
amount of shadow detail you feel you may do without.  I would welcome
any comments that will improve this procedure.  E-mail
DonjR43198@aol.com