Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 2002, # 1 - Matt K.
From: Matt Kollasch <matthew.kollasch@uni.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 08:15:58 -0600

Thanks Ted ... I see exactly what you mean... I took lemonade (good
light) and made a lemon (prosaic photo).  Thanks for the lesson -- much
appreciated. This is a specifc example / lesson  I can take to heart
(and eye).  Best,  /matt

Matt wrote & showed:
>>> Hi Folks, My first foray into this 2002 PAW work is now up for
viewing
> at  http://www.uni.edu/kollasch/photo/paw-02/pages/week-01.htm

OK Matt get ready! ;-)

There was good light but you forgot "shooting from the shadowside" and
the
light that should have been on the boys left cheek is merely a full side

lighting with no enhancement.

If you had turned him slightly to his left until the light was doing
it's
little triangular Rembrandt thing on the right cheek, two things
would've
happened.

1/  It would've given better modeling / form / shape to his face and not
so
side lit.

2/ The hand could've had better definition because the "light would've
been
creating better separation" similar to the light on his face.

At the moment the box with the hand has lost much of the light effect
other
than for exposure.  By either moving the hand, twisting it slightly
toward
the window, or if the boy had bodily turned toward the window to correct
for
his face light it would've brought the hand into the better light.

so there go eh. ;-)
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant