Subject: RE: [Leica] re: tough as nails
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 06:52:03 -0800

The current hype from HP Marketing ( Rodenstock LF Lens disti) is that the
digital lenses are designed diffferently to be optimmized for use with
digital sensors.  Erwin has also stated some differences in design are
needed.  While I do believe the lenses are different, I don;t believe the
traditional lenses are not sufficient... They may be overkill.  And their
superior peformance may be getting in the way of the sensors... therefore
Austin's comment about the use of internal filtering.
My own gut feeling is the digital market has opened up a new possibility for
the lens folk, at the smae time, cutting off their older silver market.
That new market needs to be satisfied with hew lenses, from their point of
view.  The only way to get phtotgraphers to ante up is to offer them new
products, and make them feel they will be non competitive if they do not buy
the newer stuff.  Makes me very suspicious of claims.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net