Subject: [Leica] International Warranty in the USA
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 13:55:38 -0800

OK.. I called Leica USA to see how they handle a "gray market" camera....
This is what I was told......

IF ( big IF) the dealer you bought it from is an authorized FOREIGN Leica
dealer, then send in the warranty card Leica USA will take care of you,
according to the warranty card... ( well almost,,,,,,  there was some
confusion as to the length of coverage... 1 year?  2 years?  who knows?
Whatever the card says is what they will grant to you.)  Passport warranty
repair is NOT included.  Don;t drop it.......then expect them to fix it for
free.  Repair will be done in the USA.  ( within capability ).  Send in your
foreign warranty card to Leica USA, with a copy of the receipt.  Leica USA
will check with Leica Germany, confirm the warranty, and do the repairs
under the terms of that warranty.

IF you don't know if the dealer is a authorized dealer, then give Leica the
info, a copy of your sales receipt, and the warranty info, and they will
find out for you.  See above for checking things out.

IF the dealer is NOT a authorized dealer, you got nada.  You want it
repaired, you get to pay for the repair.....or.......................

You can send the camera to Leica Germany.  Leica Germany has the final word,
and may repair the item under warranty as they see fit.  Include a letter
explaining the circumstances of the purchase.

There are no USA dealers that can sell you a gray market camera with ANY
warranty.  Period.  Leica USA will charge you for these repairs.

I think it is fair to say that if you buy a gray camera in the USA, from a
USA merchant,,,, you are buying essentially a used camera.  No warranty.
Remember your  purchase must be from an authorized foreign dealer.  You
bought in the USA, so the foreign part is certainly not going to be met.
If you buy overseas, make sure the dealer is a authorized dealer.  How you
do that is beyond me, but I guess you could call/write/email Leica and ask
them before you buy.

Lastly..... if you think you are going to wreck your camera, drop it in a
lake, have a cop tromp on it, have some cow do his deed on you, or otherwise
manhandle the camera, no matter what, buy USA.  The passport warranty will
take care of you.

Source: Liz in Warranty

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net