Subject: Re: [Leica] re: tough as nails
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 07:56:02 -0800

The conversion factor has been shrinking from 1.6x to 1.3x. I suspect
that by the end of this year it might be down to 1x, meaning no conversion.
As far as not needing quality optics for the CCD, I can't really buy
that. As anybody on this list well knows you can't ever have enough
quality. The industry will just have to catch up to the consumer's expectations.
I've had two Coolpix versions, the 950 and 990, and I can say with a
fair amount of certainty that the optics are real dogs. The only thing
holding me back from acquiring a current digital SLR is that unrealistic
conversion factor.
  Slobodan Dimitrov