Subject: Re: [Leica] Is a Noctilux the Answer?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:07:59 -0500

Arne-
Maybe I was lucky, or just not as critical as you, but I had found the
Noctilux to be a wonderful lens, and capable of quite a lot. Since it was a
borrowed one, I may not have had the time with it to be disapponted, but I
will gladly admit that I want one, and hope to get one someday!
I found that at f2 is was about as good as the results I get from a
Summicron, with 400 ISO film, I don't have to be THAT critical :o)
It has one shortcoming, for me, and that it is SO BIG! (Do I sound like the
Monty Python Prayer to God in one of their skits?- 'Oh You are so HUGE, so
BIG, gosh I am so afraid....')
If it wasn't so good otherwise, I would say it might rank among those
'exotic' special purpose lenses like Hasselblad's multi-K $ lenses for
ultra-violet photography with the quartz lens elements, or Leitz' more
exotic tele-photos!!
I can say, however, that any lens that can capture a usable image in
lighting so poor that it is difficult to set the camera and focus (at least
for my old peepers!) is pretty damned good in my considered opinion!
Obviously, single malts aside, a LUGnut's favorite 'wine' is, " I want a
Noctilux!"

Dan ( I waaaaant it!, I waaaaant it!....) Post