Subject: Re: [Leica] Film survey
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:52:29 EST

In a message dated 1/10/02 11:27:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
<< Subj:     Re: [Leica] Film survey
 Date:  1/10/02 11:27:26 AM Pacific Standard Time
 From:  Teresa299@aol.com
 Sender:    owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
 To:    leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
 In a message dated 1/10/02 10:48:39 AM, feli@d2.com writes:
  > For interesting black/white I use AGFAPAN 250. This is a movie stock that
 the
 > local AGFA rep gave me years ago. They had a mixed bag of emulsions and
 > rather than sending it for destruction, he offered it to me. Comes  in 400
 > feet rolls and over the years I have shot about 4000 feet of it. Still have
 > 1600 feet left. It is an old style emulsion, rich in silver and biased to
 > mid-tones. It does tend to make everybody look like Marlene Dietrich. High
 > basefog but prints well. Usually I rate it at ASA 200 and run it in PMK,
but
 > it can be rated at 320 and developed in D-76 too.
 > Occasionally you can get Kodak Duplicating film (used for turning negs into
 > positives). It seems to have an unlimited shelve life and I use it at 80
ASA
 > and develop in Beutler. Very tight grain and smooth mid-tones.
 > Tom A

> I really wish AGFA still made that stock, it really looks great.
> I tried buying some for my film and was told its no longer available.
> Rats.
> feli >>

> Are there any films out there that approach this defunct emulsion?
> -kim

Kim,
The only film that would come close would be the Super XX emulsion from
Kodak. I have not tried it in its new incarnation, but the original Super XX
was pretty close to the AgfaPan 250. It does depend on what you soup it in
too. D 76 works well, although the basefog is higher than what we usually
see. Rodinal works well, although the grain is noticeable. Old style
developer like D-23/D-25 usually needs some of Kodak's Anti-Fog pills in the
developer and a subsequent reduction of filmspeed. You could also try the
original movie stock developers, Kodak's D-93 (? as I cannot remember the
exact designation for it) and Fuji has one too. These tend to be very low
contrast developer (film was processed as negative and then duped onto
duplicating film and the contrast was controlled at that stage. They are fun
films to play with, particularly with old, uncoated lenses. You will end up
with prints looking like 30's style shots. Shades of Rodchenko, etc.

Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC
Canada