Subject: [Leica] Re: NEW M7 MAJOR CROCK-POT CROW PARMESAN
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:11:31 -0500

> Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:19:50 -0500
> From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
> Subject: RE: [Leica] NEW M7 MAJOR CROCK-POT CROW PARMESAN
> First off - when we see it, we will know it. Until then, we will be awash in
> the usual LUG BS and blather, known in other places as baseless gossip,
> wishful thinking, and fear mongering.
>
> And when it comes out - if it's what you want, buy it. If it's not, don't.
> No big deal.

Well put.

> The M5? Oh, right, that terrific camera that a bunch of Leica luddites
> declared to be a heretical piece of junk - and a couple of decades later
> many folks have finally realized was, for many reasons, one of the best
> Leicas ever made - even if it did have its problems.

Hmmm. I'll side with those who say "heretical piece of junk". Does
anyone actually use an M5? I say give them all to the collectors and let
them sit on shelves where they belong. I remember my own dismay when
Leica introduced this camera and discontinued the M4 -- which I
thankfully had just recently purchased. If I'd been more prosperous at
the time, I would've bought a couple more.

> And a flash, like the Olympus, that will sync up to a 1000th? Where do I put
> down my deposit on one. And if I have to buy an M7 just to use that flash,
> where do I get one of those.

And here is the problem -- all this focus on flash, flash, flash. If I
need a camera with truly sophisticated flash capabilities, I'm not going
to use an M camera and I'm certainly not going to use an M7 with half
the capability of cameras designed with a modern shutter such as, for
example, the R8 or even a Nikon FM3.

One wonders just who Leica is using for focus groups with all the recent
development centered around improving the flash capability of a camera
that is, arguably, the best camera ever produced for available light
photography. This, at the same time that films are now available which
make available light photography easier and more accessible than ever.

> BTW - Is this group, quaking in fear at the idea of an evolved M, the same
> group that prattles on and on and on and on at regular intervals about 'what
> I'd like to see in an M7?

I'm sure it is a difficult business problem for Leica that the M camera
is basically fully evolved. That surely makes it tough to sell new
cameras. But it is important to make a distinction between Leica's
problems and our problems. What would I like to see in an M7? Get rid of
the plastic parts, put the Vulcanite back on, make the goddamn shutter
speed dial turn the right way and shrink the body by 2.5mm.

I'll buy one tomorrow.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com