Subject: [Leica] Re: To crop or not to crop
From: "Sander van Hulsenbeek" <vanhulsenbeek@wxs.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:34:51 +0100

Dear Luggers, Nathan and Arne,

>Nathan wrote to Arne:

>I note your determination to post only full-frame
>images, and that is certainly a worthy goal, but I do not think that you
should be
>so dogmatic about it. Cropping is an old tool, we are not talking about any
>digital manipulation here, and in this case it would make en excellent
image even

I have the privilege to know both Nathan and Arne beyond the virtual world
of e-mail,
and I trust they will both approach this subject objectively:

The question is: is the 'to crop or not to crop' debate relevant or moot in
the appreciation
and 'judging' of other Luggers pictures on the LUG, or of anyone's pictures
anywhere, for
that matter.

For myself, I must say, I have since long abstained from this all too easy -
sorry Nathan - 'take
a bit off here and there, and your picture is perfect ' kind of commentary.

A picture is submitted 'as is', and, in my view as such should only be
judged on 3 levels: what do I see, what do I think
 and, lastly, what do I feel,  in that picture.

Using this triple level appreciation has the advantage that it's basis is
what the viewer has in front of him/her. And nothing more.
Then it is not relevant what the maker did of should have done. That period
in the picture's life is past us
and no longer of  any relevance. Cropping issues go the same way. They
should be - have been - the concern of the
the maker and not of the viewer.

It is the 3 level appreciation of pictures ( again: what do I see, what do I
think and, lastly, what do I feel) that
really does justice to the vast - no doubt about that - amount of work,
dedication and love that has gone into any
picture that anyone of us dare to show to the world. Because that is what we
do here!

Arme, I think you are absolutely right to submit you pictures as you took
them. If you had  wanted to crop, you would have taken one, or two, steps
forward. I am sure of that. Or have taken an orther picture! So good for
you, submit them as they are!

Let's the debate begin!

Sander van Hulsenbeek
Amsterdam