Subject: Re: [Leica] Who's got the button
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 15:24:15 -0800

ted Grant wrote much earlier today:
>>> The problem is, there are too many people in the world and as we see on
the LUG, who want basically to be spoon fed with "non-thinking cameras," so
all they have to do is, "when all the pretty lights go on, press button,
picture happens!"<<<<

afterswift? responded:
> The button culture came to cameras with the logic chip. The Leica M is
still
> comparatively free of those buttons...if not the logic board. But if you
want
> to see those buttons in full bloom take a look at any medium priced
digital.
> I think those buttons will probably do in the digital. <<<<<

To Whomever "afterswift is:
I don't think we're on the same wave here, as I'm talking about M camera's
in that it isn't necesary for any more "electronic stuff" to be incorporated
if :

A/ it's going to make it more expensive to satisfy button pushers who don't
think when they're shooting, but want pictures by automation.

B/ will make the camera more prone to screw-up's because a battery crashes
right in the middle of the shoot. I realize this doesn't really matter to
the amateur crew, but it sure plays havoc with us who make a living with the
machines.

C/ the camera has to be made bigger to handle the new bits that are still
fluff but add more stuff for the none thinking photographers.

D/ Actually most of the "I'd like to see on a new Leica M" etc etc etc
wishful thoughts haven't been asked for by professionals who use the camera
on an everyday basis.

But the new gizmo offerings "I'd like it to do this that and every other
bloody thing" people are those who play with them. Basically the M6 or any
other versions don't require much to make them successful cameras.

They only require a simple ingredient to make great pictures from now till
hell freezes over and that one simple little item is a "photographer who is
a photographer using it!" Someone who sees photographically and thinks about
what the subject is and will it really make a worth while picture ?

And all the bright flashing lights "it's now in focus press button" isn't
going to make an M6aaa, M7, M12 or whatever, a better camera creating better
pictures. The best improvement would be a damn good book "How to take
interesting pictures with your Leica"

That's what each purchaser of a Leica should get and sign for and do the
designated assignments to improve their photography. Then maybe they'd learn
all these electronic powered by battery bits and pieces aren't necessary.
Instead they'd learn the value of brains and seeing is far more important
than bells and twinking lights!
ted