Subject: Re: [Leica] A few thoughts about flash
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 15:41:57 -0800

B. D. Wrote:
> paying quite considerable amounts of money for the photos I am shooting.
> Sure, given the kind of work I do, I can still include some images shot at
> 15th of a second. But the bottom line is that I no longer have the option
of
> not getting the shot. And if getting it means using flash - hopefully fill
> flash - then that's what I use.
>Therefore - if Leica, upon whose Ms I depend for most of my shooting,
>modify the M, or give me an add-on flash, that will allow me to be as
>comfortable using flash when I have to use it as I am using available
light, I >say 'right on!'<<<

Hi B. D.
Right on mon ami!

And what sounds like me shooting down twinkie light use all the time isn't
quite true, as I'll sure as hell put a flash on when the dollars are
involved and I'm expected to come back with properly exposed pictures that
can't be made in any other fashion.

My first choice is always, "NO FLASH!"  However! There are times when flash
is the only way to go whether one likes it or not. That's where the simple
ingredient of common sense over rides one's feelings toward a shooting
preference for those of us earning our keep as photographers.

But I always try to make a shot with the light illuminating the subject
before I use flash and if in doubt, out comes a flash, now I have the SF20
that I've played with a bit, but it's still basically unused! :-)  But some
day. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant