Subject: [Leica] Re: To crop or not to crop
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 06:50:20 -0600

John:

>Photographers have blind spots too. Getting attached to an image for the
>wrong reasons. They will adjust the image to where they 'think' it's at it's
>best. But when they put it in their PAW for critique they want to hear what
>others think about everything I'd assume. I'm not saying they have to do
>what others opinions are saying but hearing those opinions is why we put
>them up and ask for comments.

Well said, John.  Pretty much echoes my sentiments, too.

I understand some people don't want to crop.  I understand that some people
make straight scans and don't do any adjustments in Photoshop.  Those are
both completely valid positions.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with
saying, "That image would be stronger if you cropped out that bright, out of
focus blob that draws attention away from the subject."  Or "your color
balance is weird.  Less green, please."  That doesn't mean the person needs
to change the already presented image.  But maybe comments like those will
help the submitter during the next time he's out taking a picture.  "Hmm...I
could move a little closer, and crop out that objectional part in camera.  I
think I will."  Or "I better grab my filter kit since I'm gonna be shooting
under fluorescents."

Much better than saying "Nice picture" and wandering off to the next one.
"Nice" doesn't inspire you to improve next week.

I'm assuming that most people like the pictures they submit as PAWs.  If
they didn't like the cropping, they'd have taken a few steps forward, as
Sanders suggested.  Isn't the point of a critique, though, to express what
the critiquer thinks?  I'd say a critique is just as valid if it said wrong
film or wrong camera.  "Nice landscape.  But I really think you'd be happier
with the tones you can get from a 4x5 rather than the Kodak disc camera that
you used."

One of the great things about the LUG is that it's like sitting around a big
table with a bunch of your friends.  Although not quite as fun as watching
them become progressively drunker and drunker as they try Leica
Stacking(tm).  This is a pretty safe environment for critiques.  I don't
think somebody is going to intentionally try to hurt somebody else's
feelings.  We're like a big family.  Dysfunction and all.  :)  One of the
great things about family is that you can pretend to listen and then go off
and do what you wanted, anyway.  You don't have to take to heart all the
advice you hear.

Eric

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: To crop or not to crop)
Message from John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: To crop or not to crop)