Subject: RE: [Leica] A few thoughts about flash
From: "Samuel M. Kennard" <sam@kennardind.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:24:00 -0600

Ok Ted, so where did you use the Hot Glue Gun?

Sam Kennard
<<
Tim Atherton wrote and asked: ;-)
>>Ted,
>
> Could you explain to us again how you use flash powder with the
> M6...<<<

Hi Tim,
Quite simple actually. ;-)  I get black gun powder, pour it into an old
developer tray lined with heavy duty cooking foil and set it on a kind
of easel so the flash will bounce off the ceiling when it ignites and
before the ceiling goes black from the smoke.

This is a truly one shot exposure as we have to clean the ceiling after
each exposure. ;-)

Now the tricky part is getting the wires imbedded in the gun powder so
when I press the shutter release, the contact in the camera will send
the signal to the contacts in the powder igniting it as the shutter
curtain opens long enough for the flash to ignite, create the light
flash and not an explosion ! :-) And inturn exposing the subject on
film.

And that sequence of events is an old family secret not to be revealed
for 50 years after my passing to the big darkroom in the sky.

So there you go eh? Nothing to it.
;-)
ted