Subject: Re: [Leica] Steve Barbour PAW week 3
From: "Richard Ogden" <rj.ogden@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:33:57 -0000

Steve,

The usual advice I had always followed for showing speed in a still photo
was to choose a slowish shutter speed and pan with the subjects to render
them sharp and the background blurred. How refreshing then to realise that
it also works the other way round, by keeping the camera still and allowing
the moving elements to blur. Did you have the chance to try it at different
shutter speeds? I imagine you could get results which are increasingly
abstract as the shutter speed lengthens. The other trick for showing speed
which works well as long as it's not overdone is to introduce a tilt to the
frame to give a more dynamic line for the moving subject.

Thanks for making me think - and giving me an idea for a picture of my own!

Regards,
Richard
Richard Ogden
PAW Site: http://mysite.freeserve.com/paw2002/index.html