Subject: Re: [Leica] Tripod for the M6.
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:47:24 -0800

At 6:53 AM -0500 1/15/02, Rei Shinozuka wrote:
>henning,
>
>i happen to have the same pair!
>in what way is your weekender "modified?"
>
>-rei
>

>>  From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
>>
>>  I have the 1228. It's fine, and works well with various medium format
>>  and large format cameras, but I'd get the lightest one possible for
>>  M6 use. On trips I use a modified 0 series that gets up to a
>>  reasonable height. It's fine for any M camera/lens combination. If
>>  they made it in carbon fiber, I'd get it immediately.
>>
>>  If you also use SLR's, and want one tripod to work with everything up
>  > to a 300mm, then get the 1228.

I bought the pieces in the 70's, so they don't correspond exactly to
present products. The basic idea is that since the leg diameters are
standard, you can mix and match leg sections and columns. Therefore I
now have a 5-section #2 tripod that goes to over 2m, and the above
mentioned #0, which is a 4 section tripod that collapses to 34cm, and
extends to 144cm minus the head. It has a long double center column,
and longer than standard small diameter leg sections. It's not for
slr's, but with leaf shutter cameras and Leicas with not too big
lenses it's fine, and since it's small enough, I tend to take it more
places.

At the other end of things, I use a 5 section #5 with long double
center column to get above cars, etc., but I never drag it very far
from the car since besides the weight, there is the issue of carrying
a stepladder to make use of the height.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design