Subject: [Leica] To crop or not to crop
From: John Amiet <jeapic@operamail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:55:11 +1100

Hi LUG,
I am returning after a break of sorts. Wading thru the usual chatter is exhausting me! Where does everyone find
the time? :-)) I am envious. This cropping business bemuses me. My thoughts include:- a subject worth
recording, by any means, is usually pretty 'fixed' in proportion (viewer dependant) and is NOT influenced by
which camera I have with me at the time. What the camera DOES influence is my RESTRICTION to capturing
the image. Likewise, standard paper sizes have a bad inflence of trying to control my image shape. After many
painful years I have (nearly) escaped such restrictions and allow the subject, as I perceive it, to control the
composition. So, upon finding a 'square' subject with Leica in hand, I crop in the darkroom. Upon finding a
'rectangular' subject with Blad in hand, I crop in the darkroom. Yes, I do carry both cameras at times, but not
always, so forget the obvious 'smart' replies. :-). Obviously everyone will continue doing what they prefer, as will
I. Those who are unsure, to them I say, "please yourself". Anyone who criticizes you for cropping is the one in
the wrong! On the other hand, a personal preference for NOT cropping is equally legitimate. I just wonder why.
Do your own thing and enjoy!
I am attempting to start PAW again. Will post "up to date" in a few hours. Bet I get some 'cropping' (cutting!)
remarks!
Cheers to all,
JohnA

John Amiet