Subject: [Leica] WOW then durability then IIIb and M4-2
From: Mark Kronquist <mak@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:31:14 -0800

Wow...go Seth and Marc

While in college, in 1983, my Minolta SR and XE XG systems and all the
lenses and goodies were stolen from my car. Leica rep Don Leap took (what
seemed like a huge check) my insurance settlement and turned it into an M4-P
and 50.

That M4-P has been to 5 continents and has seen many thousands of rolls
through it.

While I have worn the black chrome off, aside from a new set of shutter
curtains (burn through in Africa) and a failed hot shoe connection (still
haven't gotten around to having that fixed as the PC socket works fine)
while it probably needs a CLA, it will also probably keep going for another
18 years without one.

At lunch today I am going to load some Tmax 400 into my great grandfather's
IIIb, mount that delightful CV APO 90 and shoot away...and, to my knowledge
that 1938 IIIb has never had a CLA either.

What we are talking about are cameras here...perhaps the finest cameras ever
made...but cameras designed to be used, admired, taken apart, even fondled,
But we seem to have gotten a bit off into the attack zone here...

Just to get positive, how many IIIb's might be used these days?

How come the IIIb, very low production, very high wartime loss rate has
never become rare and sought after?

I wonder if the same will be true for the M4-2? Low production, marks the
end or beginning of a new era, yet little demand...

Mark