Subject: [Leica] Used M3 came today - have questions
From: "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@harbornet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:59:24 -0800

LUGers:

Many of you have kindly answered my questions about the durability of
the M3 I ordered last week.  It arrived today, and since it was sold as
"used but not ugly" I would say that is an accurate description.
Actually, I am very pleased with it, but I do have two questions for
you:

1.  The viewfinder and the rangefinder rectangle are bright and clear,
and I cannot see any of the little gold spots or flecks I read about in
a previous posting.  That said, about a third of the 50mm frame lines in
the lower left quadrant of the viewfinder show some mottling, rather
like an old oil painting where the paint has cracked.  It isn't bad, but
it is there.  The other three quadrants are firm and bright.  An earlier
posting mentioned that these older models may have some separation of
the prism coating but that it can take years before it is going to be a
problem.  Is what I have described reason to be concerned?

2.  I have also purchased a 50mm Summicron f/2 Dual Range lens for the
camera.  It appears to be excellent overall.  With the lens off the
camera, I can see the 50mm and 135mm frame lines.  When I put the lens
on the camera, I can see the 50mm frame lines, however I can also still
see the 135mm frame lines.  What is the significance of this  -- is it
normal?  If not, it doesn't bother me, but I wonder if it is an easy
adjustment.

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted in Olalla

Replies: Reply from "SML" <inyoung@jps.net> (Re: [Leica] Used M3 came today - have questions)