Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New article on travel tips.
From: "dante@umich.edu" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:01:38 -0500

Eric,

> First, you might make the title of your page something more meaningful than
> "Technical Articles."  If somebody bookmarks the page, that is what they'll
> see.  Try going back to find Dante's Travel Tips in your bookmark list and
> good luck.  :)

My brother actually had me go through and title all of the then -existing
pages last week.  This one was new and on the technical template, and I
missed changing the title last night.  Long day!

> Second, don't override the default colors for an article you want people to
> read.  Or default text sizes, for that matter.

The problem I have noticed is that even across IE implementations, the text
size varies widely - when I do the pages on Dreamweaver, the text is quite
small, but on every browser I test it with, it looks huge.  I will check on
the overriding default issue.

> Getting back to photo stuff...
>
>> (—) Neopan 1600 - Neopan is a great film for miserable light. But
>> shot at 1600, it almost always incurs a massive loss of shadow
>> detail. Since you get but one shot, you want everything on the neg you
>> can get.
>
> You might want to specify what developer you're using for that result.  I am
> enjoying wonderful results with Neopan 1600 in Xtol 1:3.

Xtol 1:1 at the Kodak default at 68 degrees (6.5min?).  I shouldn't say that
it is a total loss - you can extract shadow detail, but the overall effect
is very Rembrandt - suitable for some scenes and not others.  Outdoors, the
film flattens out a lot.  I like Neopan a lot better than the alternatives,
but it is not an all-round film, certainly not one I would commit to 36
frames of on a trip.

Cheers
Dante