Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Eric's PAW...now response to Mark R.
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 12:26:59 -0600

I can only speak for myself but I assure you my work with Lauren is serious
photography. Sally Mann's work with her children is serious photography. Who
the heck is the woman who puts her own self in every image (I forget her
name)? Her work is serious photography.

Chronicalling life IS serious photography.

You intimate in your last sentence that somehow shooting family isn't
serious work. I'd take all my licensed, 'serious' images (yes, the ones that
pay my bills) and burn them if it meant I'd never lose the images I've shot
of my family.

That's how 'serious' I am about them.

One of the things I've always loved about art is the freedom inherent in
it.............as in you are 'free' to create, capture, save, shoot, paint,
dance, write, notate whatever the heck you want. One of the things I've
always hated about art is the fact that as soon as someone steps up to the
plate to make art, someone is standing there waiting to say it was done with
poor lighting, bad vision, icky subject matter, or any of another billion
nit-picky wrongs.

Creation just IS.......it isn't right or wrong. There are no rules...except
those you impose on yourself.
Lea