Subject: Re: [Leica] xtol results?
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 15:01:35 -0500

Marc Attinasi wrote:

> Rolfe Tessem wrote:
>
>> Marc Attinasi wrote:
>>
>>> The negs look a little thin, and much flatter than I expected from
>>> that film, especialy the pushed roll.
>>>
>>> Is this normal XTOL behavior, or is something wrong with my times /
>>> technique / camera / expectations?
>>

>> The results are consistent with developer exhaustion. How much stock
>> did you use per roll?
>>
> I used 4oz of stock, the stock soln is two weks old, in an air-free bottle.

Assuming you mean 4oz stock per roll, that should have been fine.

The TMAX films seem to require somewhat more energy out of the developer
than traditional films. I would try a roll or two in straight stock to
confirm that your stock is good and, if so, you've narrowed the problem
to the dilution.

Here are Kodak's current recommendations on using dilute Xtol. I
particularly direct your attention to the portion which pertains to
problems with TMAX films at greater than 1:1 dilution.

http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j109/j109.shtml#948211

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] xtol results?)
Message from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (Re: [Leica] xtol results?)
Message from Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org> (Re: [Leica] xtol results?)