Subject: Re: [Leica] ORTLIEB ZIPCITY MESSENGER BAG
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:59:36 -0500

John Collier wrote:

> The bag looks great as long as you do not open it! The waterproof zipper is
> right on top and would let water in if opened with out drying the bag first.
> Ortlieb make fantastic stuff; fantastic for transporting gear in wet
> conditions. It is not very good for USING gear in wet conditions. The
> Billingham Alice and Hadley bags are rain proof and have a large flap allows
> you to open the bag and still keep the water out.

I'm trying out a new bag that is as waterproof as any I've seen short of
something that floats. It's a messenger bag from http://www.timbuk2.com

The cool thing is that the company has an online bag designer so that
you can customize colors and features. I'm trying a Peewee in waxed
canvas, which is a canvas that has been impregnated with wax and then
coated with teflon. The lining of the bag is something called Hypalon,
which the web site describes as "a synthetic rubber material coated onto
a nylon mesh." The bag has a large flap which covers the contents with
excess to spare and snaps down securely.

The only drawback is, being a messenger bag, it doesn't come with any
inserts. However, these are available elsewhere and I'm using several
Domke inserts which fit well.

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Replies: Reply from "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@harbornet.com> (Re: [Leica] ORTLIEB ZIPCITY MESSENGER BAG)