Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW week 4 Steve Unsworth
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:31:07 -0800

Steve Unsworth wrote:

> Week 4 is now available at...
> http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/PAW/week_04.htm
>
> Alternative 1
> http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/PAW/week_04alt1.htm
>
> Alternative 2
> http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/PAW/week_04alt2.htm
>
> Alternative 3
> http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/PAW/week_04alt3.htm
>
> Full index at...
> http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/PAW/index.htm
>
> All taken in or around the Louvre here in Paris.
>
> Comments and criticisms more than welcome.
>
> Steve

It's a big caption issue here for me. A big case of captions narrowly
defining images which could've had a broader meaning if they could not
be so easily: written off.

When we click picture we are greeted by information; technical and subjective.
Then we scroll down and experience the full picture.

I'd show them the pictures first.
Then tell them what to think about it.
Give the pictures a chance to stand by themselves and do their
picture-like thing.

Are the captions and words in there because the photographer fears the
pictures would be weaker without the buildup?
The photographer wants the picture to me to us what it exactly means to him?
In my opinion your pictures would easily stand by themselves - they are
quite strong and effective.
The captions and words above the images weaken them.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com