Subject: RE: [Leica] Was Alfie's PAW...BD, now objective criticism
From: "Zeissler, Mitch" <mzeissle@gcipoa.gannett.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:07:29 -0500

Everyone can post what they want.

However, if they wish to receive objective criticism in order to grow as
a photographer they must be prepared to receive the good with the bad,
particularly here on the LUG where many pros contribute.

Most LUG comments I have observed, both good and bad, are tame compared
to the cutthroat critiques experienced in a good art school photo class
[being a VCU Communication Arts and Design alumni, I know first hand
what I'm talking about].  I have seen those come close to physical blows
at times and leave some of the more sensitive participants in tears.

While I would not have chosen the same words as B.D., my response would
have been along similar lines.  Having experienced bad responses to a
few critiques I sent others via e-mail in the past, I know that
delivering them in person is *much* better and can alleviate any
misunderstanding as to tone and content.  Thus, unless I know the
recipient and they know me, I tend to *not* critique via e-mail because
of the lack of verbal and non-verbal dialog.

/Mitch