Subject: RE: [Leica] Alfie's January 26th PAW
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:29:32 -0800

On 1/24/02 at 7:22 PM, dford@san.rr.com (Doug Ford) thoughtfully wrote:

> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=539241&size=lg

This image doesn't work for me. I think the elements for a good photograph are
there but the composition just doesn't work. I think some work in the printing
could make it a bit stronger. But there are too many places for the eye to
wander....I mean I vanish into the background where there's nothing to pull my
eye - everything wants to lead me there and there's nothing to do.

The remark about raking the leaves seemed harsh to me - it struck me as a form
of ridicule. I'd hope that we could post our work here without going for laughs.
It sure can inhibit a person from posting something new/different.

Doing critiques is tricky. I've been involved in many writer's workshops and
getting people to stop re-writing other's stories and just respond to work as
presented is a challenge. Ultimately it's THAT image that we should respond to.

I think BD really nailed it when he wrote:

>Look at the image you posted this week and ask yourself 'what is interesting
>about this and why would anyone want to look at it?' Are there striking
>patterns of some sort? Not to my eye. Is there something particularly unusual
>about either house? Not really. Is there something worth capturing in the
>yard? Not that's in the photo.

That was good criticism and it was valuable because I could take what he was
saying and apply it to my own work as well as to this particular image. So
thanks B.D.

I wish the more personal parts had been left unsaid or said only in a private
message.

My thoughts.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com> ([Leica] Adam's remarks re:Alfie's January 26th PAW)