Subject: [Leica] OT: Paypal warning
From: GERALD HAUSSLER <GHAUSSLE@email.usps.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:37:03 -0500

     Tom;

     i too have had no trouble w/ transactions using PayPal. (~20)
     except last time, i sent $650 to Germany & the seller was
     notified that he would have to wait 4 days for the $$ to "clear",
     which we both thought peculiar.
     i agree that, after reading the experience of the party who
     posted the 'warning' web site, some things do seem fishy.

     re: the postal money order protection, yes, mail fraud is
     a federal offence. but typically, complaints are handled
     much as that of the BBB. they mail a nice letter to the
     party named in the complaint & request said party to
     respond. that's pretty much the end of it. don't ask me
     how i know. if hundreds of complaints are placed and
     the numbers start to climb, then of course they have no
     choice but to go after the seller and recoup a small
     fraction of the money... none of which you will ever see.

     cheers !
     jerry haussler

     I have done well over a hundred paypal transactions, both as a seller
     and
     buyer,  all over the world with no problems.  The problem comes with
     either
     a dishonest seller or a dishonest buyer.  This manefests itself in the
     same
     manner as anyother credit card transaction.  I am very leary of
     sellers that
     don't accept paypal, in those cases, I use a Postal Money Order to
     pay.  If
     I get cheated there, it is a federal crime and in theory the postal
     inspectors office handles it.  Any credit card transaction favors the
     buyer,
     not the seller.

     Tom Lianza