Subject: Re: [Leica] a street ready M3?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:31:59 -0700

See interspersed comments:

> From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
>
> Weird loading system? (can be updated?)

Yes DAG can modify the loading system to the M4-6 style. It is not
inexpensive, as it would be to modify a M2, because the M3 uses the spool
removal to reset the film counter. At the same time they can add the motor
coupling so you could use a Winder/Motor/RapidWinder. To add motor coupling
and M4-6 loading is around $300US for a M2, you will have to phone and ask
about how much more a M3 would be.

You could just get the Leica rapid load kit which works great on M2s but you
have to pull the spool up to reset the M3 counter; not a big deal. $25US to
$80US

> Annoying rewind knob (add one of those doohickys that make it faster - are
> they still available)

Yes ($35US I think), Richard Wasserman makes them and his email address is

disfromage@aol.com

> Later M rewind lever (is this more useful...)

I actually prefer the M3 style lever as you can get at it even with a flash
or finder attached. I have a couple of the newer ones hanging around and
will gladly trade for your unwanted one (never know I might get another M
one day). I will even lend you the tool to change it. It takes under a
minute.

> Come on all you M3 lovers, whatcha think?

Me? I prefer the M2...

You also could just buy a 1.25 magnifier ($220US) and have DAG block out the
75 framelines and...BINGO... you have an M3 with meter, easy load and fast
rewind.

John Collier