Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Motor-M or Rapidwinder (with Rapidgrip) ?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 14:10:28 -0500

Having recently played with an M6 with the new motor on it, I have to say
that while the motor is impressive - pretty damn quiet for a motor - the
grip is really the pits - it's like having a pencil glued to the front edge
of your camera.

I've been using a couple of rapid winders on M6s for a while now and have to
say that while I would prefer to be able to simply push the shutter release
and have the film advance, the lack of a grip on the Rapidwinder is a real
advantage. For me, anyway, the M6 with the added height of the Rapidwinder
fits my hand perfectly. You quickly get used to advancing the film with the
last two or three fingers of your left hand, and the silence of the
Rapidwinder is a real advantage.

And, no, it does not transport the film automatically - the Rapidwinder is a
mechanical device that allows you to advance the film at up to about 2 fps.
BTW, it also provides a wonderfully improved grip for using longer lenses on
the camera when you are shooting vertically.

Buy one - you'll love it. And if you don't, the resale value is very high.

B. D.