Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Motor-M or Rapidwinder (with Rapidgrip) ?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:43:58 -0800

"Christopher P." wrote:

> Hy to all members ,
> as intend to buy me a Leica M 6 TTL in next future i now wanted to clear my
> mind about which mtor i will put on it , and i thought this would certainly
> be the best place for some helpful information .
> Even after i had visited the Rapidwinder site and read so many good reviews
> about this product , i still dont really got his correct utilisation , i
> mean transports it the film automatically or not ( like the Leica Motor ) ,
> and so i would like to hear some advantages of it because i would like to
> use a grip with the motor as i think that this would make it easier to hold
> the M 6.
> I wait for every help .
> Thank you in adavce
> Chris

The Rapidwinder is quieter and faster.
It does require some slight left under thumb action.

The Leica Motor M is a winder.
It is slow and not so quiet but i kind of still like it.
It's my new toy so it's happens to be on my camera now.
There is not fluttery movement with the other hand to catch a subjects attention.
If there were 12 feet away and there was some ambient nose they'd not
know you were shooting pictures unless they're eyes were so sharp that
they could see the rewind lever twisting. That would make them eagle eyed.

I will continue to be using the Rapidwinder especially after the glow of
The Leica Motor M wears off.
The batteries are supposedly good for 100 rolls of film so replacing
those lithium batters would make the cost per roll 12 cents a roll.
That will take the glow off.
I make take the motor off then and just use it in the studio.

Both these devices do add some weight and bulk to your knock around with
you Leica.

Some find that suspect. Not the essence of Leica. Not me.
If i wanted the essence of Leica I'd get a Barnack*. And will.

Both winders have their uses.

*
LTM or SM
Leica thread mount or screw mount.