Subject: Re: [Leica] The real america
From: "she's 18; he's 31" <bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:32:38 -0600

On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 10:46  PM, Don Dory wrote:

> Brad, when you get six or seven days off, take I-20 west until you hit
> Shreveport.  Just outside is highway 79.  Take it south and follow the
> back
> roads basically west.  Stop often.  Savor the differences as East Texas
> fades into West Texas.  Spend a lot of time in the cafes and bars that
> are
> in all the small towns  Stay off the larger roads.  You will discover a
> part
> of this country that only Sonny C is recording.  Some of Robert Frank's
> strongest images were taken in these places.

i've always wanted to do this.  i've become something of a
backroads/surface streets freak.  my friends constantly fuss at me for
taking surface streets in birmingham, when i could take the freeway, but
the surface streets are WAY more interesting, especially our rotting
former downtown.  a lovely drive is from chattanooga to birmingham on
old highway 11; another is from birmingham to athens, AL, on 31; and
from athens to pulaski, TN, on 127.  car & driver magazine featured a
route from talladega to tuskeegee as a great drive, but i've never done
it.

anyhow, i'll have to get a better car first.  my '88 volvo 240
wagon--with 190,000+ miles--isn't really up to taking me to amarillo.

speaking of which, what was the route from birmingham to atlanta before
I-20?  78 maybe?  you often hear references to "the old atlanta highway"
around here, but i've never actually established what road that is.

> Then, sometime when you have another six or seven days off, go to NY or
> Boston, or  San Francisco.

i've walked all over boston and new york, but i've never made it to san
francisco.  somewhere on the navajo reservation in northern arizona is
as far west as i've been.

- --
brad daly
bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly
http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=190241

"War, what is it good for?  It's good for business."
	--Billy Bragg

When I get depressed, I just look at our two wiener dogs.  You'll never
see more of a can-do attitude in a can't-do body than a wiener dog."
	--Kevin Kling

Rap is a continuation of the Sex Pistols; it's quite obvious.
	--John(nny Rotten) Lydon

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] The real america)