Subject: Re: [Leica] claw and hoof but no PAW
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:13:50 -0800

on 1/29/02 10:57 PM, Adam Bridge at abridge@mac.com wrote:

> On 1/29/02 at 10:30 PM, telyt@earthlink.net (Doug Herr) thoughtfully wrote:
>

>> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=548255
>>

> This one is my favorite. I like the ruffled feathers.
>
> Question: how did you evaluate the exposure for this back-lit subject? I don't
> know anything about the metering system for the LeicaFlex but I know that when
> have tried to shoot owls I have a difficult time getting a sufficiently bright
> central image.
>
> Thanks
>
> Adam

Adam, I used the SL's spot meter on the hawk's chest with no adjustment.
The measuring area is well-enough delineated and marked in the viewfinder
that I've learned not to fuss with it too much.

BTW this is a good example of a particular lens making or breaking the
photo.  If I had used a lens that showed more flare, I would have lost
detail and color gradation in the hawk.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
www.wildlightphoto.com