Subject: Re: [Leica] claw and hoof but no PAW
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 19:15:23 -0800

on 1/31/02 12:55 AM, Alastair Firkin at firkin@ncable.net.au wrote:

>> The latest from the Yellow Box:
>>
>> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=548273
>
> Antlers' mixed with twigs annoys me

I agree.  I love the tongue, though.  I gotta try for more, and for the
other buck with really big antlers.

>> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=548268
>
> Nice

IMHO it's a good pleasant image but not exciting.

>> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=548255
>
> Ripper ;-)

Given the circumstances behind this photo I wasn't expecting much and I'm
delighted with the results.  I has used my minivan as a blind (a.k.a. hide)
but was contorted in the front passenger seat, turned around shooting
backwards against an overcast sky in rather dim light.  Because I was so
contorted, I could barely see through the viewfinder, could hardly work the
SL's controls, and I was certain that the 560's precarious perch wasn't
steady enough for the meter's recommended shutter speed, about 1/100 sec.
One exposure and the hawk was gone.

Thanks for your comments, and thanks to all who responded on- and off-list.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
www.wildlightphoto.com