Subject: Re: [Leica] Light meter (was Stared down by subject of street photo)
From: Douglas Lee <douglas_lee_2000@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:59:11 -0800 (PST)

Regarding instant on feature...

I have the Gossen digital StarLite which I use with my
M2 (doesn't help with composition, though (:  )
Anyway, I have noticed that I have to disregard the
first meter reading as it will always come up with a
reading that is 1 to 2 stops overexposed from a
subsequent reading. e.g., I pull the meter out of my
bag, raise the incident dome and push the M(.) button
and get a reading of f16 @ 1/60. When I push the
button again I will get f16 @ 1/125 or perhaps 1/250.
That second reading will be consistent.

I noticed this when I got a roll of tri-X developed
and the firt four frames where grossly over-exposed. I
had been doing an assignment for class (yes, I decided
to get some training) and taken pictures of a subject
using 4 different focal length lenses. However, I
recalled I had used the Gossen meter to get an
incident reading which I used for each exposure.
(Overcast day, distant subject in same light as I
metered.) All four photos were grossly overexposed.
The rest of the roll was ok because I re-metered (I
drove to the bridge and took handheld readings from
under the bridge and these were ok.

I know the meter is ok as long as I ignore any initial
reading. I tested it in direct sunlight using a medium
grey subject (my Domke F6) and compared incident and
reflected reading from the Gossen to reflected
readings from an M6TTL, F5 and F100 (spot readings
from the later 2). Got same readings from all.

I have been through the manual and the only thing I
can find is reference to recalling the last meter
reading. However, I don't think that is what is
happening. If it is, it is not consistent.

Anyone else seen this? Just curious. My work around
seems to work fine for me now that I know.

Regards,
Doug
- --- "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>