Subject: Re: [Leica] Slightly OT: Peli cases for M6 kit
From: Bryan Caldwell <bcaldwell51@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:56:50 -0800

On 2/5/02 10:09 AM, "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> wrote:

> I am travelling over the next few months and, with the increased airline
> security, I wish to purchase a hard case for my M6 equipment in case it
> needs to go in the hold.
>
> Does anyone have experience of using the Peli cases which I understand are
> just about indestructible?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Simon
>
> --

Simon,

I used a Pelican case last fall for a trip to Asia and, for the first time,
I checked my camera equipment as luggage (three M bodies, one R8 and quite a
few lenses). The case worked very well. I had a little trouble with the
interior foam leaving a bit of a "stickiness" on a couple of lenses. But,
that was easily cleaned off and when I got back to the U.S. I sent a letter
to Pelican - who contacted me immediately and sent me a complete set of
replacement foam free of charge.

One nice thing about the Pelican case (I think mine is the 550) is that it
provides a very secure storage box in a hotel room. With a light locking
cable and a good lock, you can leave camera equipment in the case and lock
the case to a bed frame, plumbing, etc.

A bad thing about checking your equipment this way in the post 9-11 world of
limited carry-on, is that you will very easily exceed most airlines' weight
limits for checked luggage. This usually isn't a problem in the U.S., but
can crop up at airports in other countries (Eastern European countries are
famous for this). You check in at the airport and are told that you owe
excess luggage fees or you can't check all your bags. JAL was all set to
charge me on a flight from Hong Kong to Tokyo, but I managed to talk them
out of it at the last minute - pointing out that I wouldn't have had to
check the cameras if they hadn't recently limited carry-on baggage to one
piece.

Bryan