Subject: [Leica] re: week 5 in athens...
From: "kyle cassidy" <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 01:02:01 -0800

ah! how i love pictures and text to tell a travel story.

first, congrats on the trip, sounds wonderful, pollution and all.

  http://www.wajsman.com/2002_5.jpg

i once said, in casual conversation at a dinner party, "X has a problem with
Y like Athens has a problem with cats." and offended a Greek standing next
to me who said "you think Athens has too many cats?"

in any event, this is a lovely cat photo. beautiful tonality in the scan
even.

>most Greek riders
>seem to be more concerned about not messing up their hair than about
>protecting their skull:

  http://www.wajsman.com/2002_5alt1.jpg

does anybody else out there belong to the DoD? in that motorcycle club there
is a saying "you can _get_ a twenty dollar helmet if you have a twenty
dollar head to put in it." This photo doesn't work for me as well as the
last. Again, the tonality is gorgeous and would probably stand on its own
very nicely in many a household, but for me, personally, there's something
missing. maybe i would have shouted at the men and gotten a shot with them
looking over (and then chasing me and some more of them beating me)

>quite a few people, young and old, came in to say a prayer or light a
>candle, like this woman:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_5alt2.jpg

again, beautiful lighting. i don't like the woman on the left, maybe it's
because it looks like a sneaked shot and i dont like sneaked shots. i would
have asked her if it was alright to photograph her and then gotten up way
close with a 35 or 28 and shot over the candelabra. she's lost a little in
the dark (dark coat, dark wall) and the window behind here there is a little
distracting, and the candels are a bit too centered for me.

>These two vendors were passing time playing chess; the gentleman
>on the left had apparently just made a good move and was pretty pleased
>with himself:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_5alt3.jpg
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_5alt4.jpg

holy smokes, these colors are beauful. what's your secret? just between you
and me and the lug? in any event, these are solid photos, i don't know how i
would have done it better. (is that ladies underwear behind them?)

i once tried to take a picture of a chess player in washington square park
and the guy leapt up out of his seat after me, he was Not Pleased. i'd been
talking to him for about 20 minutes beforehand too so i thought we had a
rapport. he stopped short of belting me, but he warned me that "a bunch of
these other guys, they would have just stabbed you, just stabbed you." --
i'd love to do a photo essay on those guys, but i bet it's been done to
death. especially after josh waitzkins (sp) grew to stardom.

in any event, great job. thanks for sharing!

kc

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] re: week 5 in athens...)