Subject: Re: [Leica] Half Frame for Leica Glass
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 14:18:24 -0800

George Lottermoser wrote:

> I understand Marc Small's original desire for a "tiny" half frame
> Leica. But why in the world would anyone want a full scale rf
> converted to half frame? Just to get 72+ tiny frames. I don't get
> it. If the camera's not getting smaller, what am I missing?
>
> George

I recently got an Olympus Pen FT and it certainly changes the way you shoot.
It's a very Leicalike camera I'm sure anyone who knows it knows.
Like sketching and drawing instead of painting...
which is what 35mm photography is for many people anyway.
You've got 72 pictures to play with.
So you shoot the rock
shoot the stump
shoot your foot
shoot any old thing, you're much more casual about it...
and then maybe you're getting better shots with this approach...
it loosens you up (gets you ready for your Master Technika!)
it makes you give off happier friendlier vibes. Making you less
threatening.

Especially if you are shooting a camera smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

Then you have a mainly vertical orientation. That will give you
different pictures.
Also you have naturally more depth of field
you can shoot 100 speed film and get nice 8x10's. 11x14's perhaps. Maybe
even bigger!
Film and developers have improved in 20 or 30 years for sure.

If i were a camera company I'd come out with a half frame camera or
series of cameras.
I think it would be a sensation.

And the lenes which were designed for the APS system could be ported
over to this platform.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com