Subject: Re: [Leica] looks like personal attack time, I am game!
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 01:33:41 -0500

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > Austin,
> >
> > As an fyi I am not the one that started this,
>
> Hi Sam,

[snip]

> > The quesiton applies to ALL who critisize me on this matter.  I have the
> > equipment, but I also have the ability to justify the equipment.
>
> I don't believe that's an issue.  Justification of your equipment (or anyone
> else's for that matter) is someone's personal business.  Even if you aren't
> very good at photography, who is anyone to criticize you for it, AND more
> importantly, why would you care?

Ha, that is a good question, why do I care.  The reason I started this
personal attack thread is because Jim Shulman took the attitude that
some of us where simply into showing off.  I care because I own what I
own because it allows me to do things I could not do otherwise.  This
applies to both cars and cameras.  I care because I want to be clear
that, though I do have an ego (come on, who doesn't), I am full of the
substance, along with the smelly stuff.  Again, that last sentence IS in
a bit subjective hehehehehe!

I care because it seems there are a lot of folks that are willing to say
something but unable to back it up.  I find it VERY interesting that I
have not heard anything from Jim Shulman.  Either he is smarter then I
am, or one of those that cannot backup what words with substance.  I
have a lot more respect for those that can backup what they say.

I care because Jim Shulman's comments have more merit if along with
owning an expensive camera, knows how to use it.

> There are a lot of things I'm not very good at (well, may be a few...and
> some day, I'll discover what those are ;-), but I still do them...and some
> of them I do because I enjoy them, some I do because I like learning...but
> again, that's my business.

It is true that it is your business not mine.  But if you were to
criticize me on a subject, but are not very good in that subject, more
importantly, not as good as I am in that subject, I am going to take
what you have to say with a grain of salt.  Jim Shulman's ability in
photography means nothing beyond what merit his word has to me.

Sam Carleton

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> (RE: [Leica] looks like personal attack time, I am game!)