Subject: Re: [Leica] A Warning To The LUG Regarding Off-list Communication with Our Friend Sam Carlton.
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:17:23 EST

In a message dated 2/16/02 10:46:26 PM, henryting10@yahoo.com writes:

<< I'm the one who orginally posted the BMW/Patek/Leica
joke. At the time, I thought it was plain funny. What
was meant to be a joke could result in endless verbal
slings between some of the folks here is just plain
silly. I also, posted a film survey with input from a
lot of people here, and yet no mention or discussion
followups on the topic whatsover. Which leads me to
question the value of this plateform. >>

Actually, I posted a question asking what happened to the results of the
survey.  So at least there are a few of us who were interested in the results.

As for folks not responding, I wouldn't take it personally.  My impression of
the list (after only being on it for about a year or so) is that it IS a
community.  Folks who have been on a long time, professionals (especially
with known work and names), creative provocatuers, those who post their work
alot, naturally get more responses.

AND like Mark metioned in his second follow-up response, it DOES depend on
list dynamics.  I've been playing catch up on my LUG reading so I have about
a 3 week overview of the posts....the last couple of weeks have seen a large
number of "agitated" postings where folks are fighting over....god knows
what....but ego being what it is, (and I'm speaking from personal experience)
it's sometimes hard to disengage from what might even be a silly online fight.

Back to the whole issue of the survey, I'd also add that it seems that there
are a number of LUGGERS who (unlike me) have been doing photography  a VERY
long time.  They've worked with certain emulsions and know how they work
inside and out.   THEY might not be as interested in the results of a film
survey as was some of the rest of us.

The good news for me, is that I did learn some new information from some
other members in both on-list and in particular, off-list communications.

Thanks for asking the film survey question in the first place.

- -kim